Sunday, February 19, 2017

The Feast of Michaelmas

This speaker is sometimes hard to understand and will require some concentration but this sermon blows my mind every time I listen to it. It begins with a poem and ends with a song. The audio isn't great, especially for the song, but the sermon is definitely worth the effort. I suggest listening to the poem again after the message.

Michaelmas | a sermon by Malcolm Guite - saint benedict's table Bible Gateway passage: Genesis 28:10-17, John 1:47-51 - English Standard Version

2 comments:

  1. I've heard this teaching a couple times, and I don't know of any better explanation of angels and their role. In an age where there's so much confusion surrounding these supernatural messengers, Guite brings much-needed clarity and balance. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I especially like the parallel he draws between the OT passage in Genesis of Jacob’s vision of a ladder between heaven and earth, and Jesus’ comments to Nathanael: “Truly, truly, I say to you, you will see heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man.” Jesus is the fulfillment of Jacob’s vision. He is the ladder complete with angels announcing his birth, resurrection and second coming. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete