Tuesday, October 11, 2016

An Offering Of Spilled Purfume


Thank you to everyone who subscribed to the blog or visited from Facebook or Twitter. This week I'm excited to share another great sermon. In a few weeks, I plan to share more about what makes a sermon "great." But first I want to have a few examples for us to consider. Using the metaphor of cooking: before we study the recipe, lets simply enjoy some great food together. I pray these sermons create faith and love in your hearts.

An Offering of Spilled Perfume | a sermon for the 5th Sunday in Lent - saint benedict's table
This sermon is preached by an Anglican minister in Canada. I listened to many of his sermons as I hiked this summer and found this one to be especially thoughtful and passionate. He has a great Christmas message I can't wait to share! The text for this sermon is: John 12:1-8. I encourage you to read the text before listening to the sermon.

Jamie Howison / St. Benedict's Table Winnipeg, Canada
Preached: March 18, 2013 / Text: John 12:1-8

2 comments:

  1. This is a great message about one of my favorite accounts in Scripture. I love the application for today - that our acts of beauty and self-giving are as important as the seemingly more practical things we do. I'm reminded of a similar account, where Martha was doing a lot of things, but Mary chose what was better - sitting at Jesus' feet and lavishing her love on Him. Don't make it hard, church, for His people to spill their perfume over His body. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! I am a fool for trying to add to it, but I can't help myself... I like that you used the word "seemingly" when talking about the practical things we do for God. This act of beauty began with the ordinary task of washing someone's feet. Because it was done with extravagant love it is remembered as something beautiful. I am reminded of the parable of the sheep and the goats. The sheep were commended for loving those in need (their neighbor) in very practical ways. Jesus tells them He receives their acts of love as love unto Himself. ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’ Matthew 25:40 When our focus is on loving God and our neighbor, even a cup of cold water is not an insignificant gift that Jesus receives and makes beautiful.

    ReplyDelete