Monday, October 3, 2016

Fighting the Pharisee

This is an excellent sermon on the parable of the pharisee and the tax collector in Luke 18:9-14. Here is a link to the Biblical text. Enjoy the sermon and let me know what you think by leaving a comment! (I won't tell anyone if you listen to it more than once...it will be our little secret.)

Fighting the Pharisee - Lk 18:9-14
Pastor Bryan Wolfmueller / Hope Lutheran Church, Aurora, CO 
Sermon date: 08/16/2015 / Sermon text: Luke 18:9-14

To subscribe to future blog posts, click here!

3 comments:

  1. Great teaching. I particularly appreciated the comment about the manners of our church services needing to resemble a court proceeding more than a Friday night concert. Sure, there is balance here. It's okay to have fun in church. But sometimes, I think we forget that we're coming before the King of Kings, the Righteous Judge, and not our 'homie,' Jesus. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your comments. We shouldn't forget there is plenty of celebration in the heavenly courtroom when sinners repent. Considering how often I sin and repent, the party in heaven is practically nonstop.

    My favorite line in the sermon is at the end where he says: "that man is you." It reminds me of the prophet Nathan who rebuked King David for his sin of adultery. David heard Nathan's words as condemnation, but Jesus tells us the sinner went home justified and I am that man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard a podcast today where the speaker said there are two kinds of people- the Pharisee and the recovering Pharisee. Everything inside me wants to pat myself on the back for all I've done. It's so hard to break that way of thinking when our effort is important and even good in every other part of our lives.

    ReplyDelete